Potato & Chicken Pie2021-11-29
This recipe is similar to the shepherd’s or cottage pies.
Instead of minced meat, it is done with small chunks of chicken (breasts or thighs) or turkey leftovers, and some vegetables. It is particularly convenient for those who like white meat but not red.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled & boiled
- 2 breasts or 4 thighs (without skin and bones), diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 100g of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium courgette, preferably white one as it is less mushy when cooked
- A splash of white wine + 1 can of peeled tomatoes (400g)
- A handful of fresh basil, chopped
- Double cream (150ml) + 100g of grated Parmesan + 1/2 tsp of white pepper + salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric + 1 tsp of black pepper + enough olive oil to sauté the chicken and vegetables
After boiling and draining the potatoes, mash them with double cream, grated Parmesan, salt and white pepper then put aside.
Put a large frying pan on medium high heat then pour enough oil to sauté first the onions and the garlic then the diced chicken. When the chicken are no longer pink, add the vegetables and the spices. Stir fry for 5 minutes then add a Gluck of white wine. Cook for another 5 minutes then mix in the tinned tomatoes. Lower the heat and let everything simmer until everything is cooked and the liquid in the sauce has evaporated. Add the basil. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
For the assembling, use an oven safe dish big enough to contain 2 layers of the mashed potatoes and one layer of the chicken and vegetables mix. As shown on the photo (in the recipe). Butter or oil the dish before spreading the first layer of potato then top with the chicken mix. Now top all with the second layer of potato (spread it evenly). Bake the pie in a 180 C oven until nicely coloured and serve with some greens or a salad.