Creamy Baked Vegetables2020-05-15
- Servings: 4
This recipe is ideal to make you and your family eat 5 vegetables in one go, with a nice creamy sauce, all oven baked.
I saw the initial recipe in a magazine and it looked appetising enough to try it.
But I did not have all the ingredients (because of the Covid19 lockdown) so I did my own version with ingredients that were available in my fridge and larder. My husband loved it!
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- Quarter of a cauliflower, cut into florets. Add chopped cauliflower leaves, if any.
- 2 or 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 300ml of dairy double cream or plant based double cream
- 1 whole dairy cream cheese packet or plant based cream cheese (about 250g)
- 1 tbsp of strong mustard
- 1 heaped tsp of garlic powder + 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- About half cup of water to make the sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bread crumbs to cover the vegetables
Wash, peel and chop the vegetables into chunks, more or less of equal size. Place them in a baking dish with 2 or 3 tbsp of olive oil.
Preheat the oven to 160/170 C. In a bowl, mix the cream, spreadable cheese, mustard, garlic powder, spices and salt with more or less half cup of water. The sauce must not be too runny nor too thick.
Cover the vegetables evenly with fresh or dry bread crumbs. Bake for around 40 minutes or until the top is golden and the vegetables are tender (but not mushy!) Serve hot.