Chicken Curry with Brussel Sprouts, Spinach and Chickpeas2018-04-25
- Servings: 3 or 4
I was inspired to do this recipe because I wanted us to eat more spinach and Brussel sprouts (for obvious reasons). Up till now, spinach and Brussel sprouts were eaten only sautéed and roasted and it was becoming boring.
My husband was not convinced that Brussels sprouts will work in a curry but he liked it when he ate it!
I have used chicken but you can cook this curry with meat instead or just leave it vegetarian.
- 6 chicken thighs skinless and boneless
- 1 small pack of spinach leaves, washed
- About a dozen of Brussel sprouts, cleaned and sliced in two
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and 1 thumb size fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp of curry powder + 1 tsp of Garam masala
- 1 tsp of cumin + 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Green chili, to taste
- 1 big handful of cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of cranberry sauce or similar sweet & sour sauce
- 3 tbsp or more of olive oil
- 1 cup of water + 1 organic chicken stock cube
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a wok style pan placed over a medium heat. Add the onion followed by the garlic and ginger. Cook for few seconds then stir in the chicken thighs.
Stir fry the chicken until lightly browned. Add the spices , stirring all the while then toss all the other ingredients, including the Brussel sprouts but not yet the water and chicken stock nor the spinach.
Stir fry constantly for few minutes then pour in the water with the chicken stock, lower the heat and let the curry simmer until the chicken is well cooked and the sauce has thickened, tossing in the spinach about 5 minutes before the end. Adjust the taste and add the salt (if needed). Serve with whole basmati rice.