Patatas Bravas (fried potatoes with spicy tomato sauce)2017-03-08
- Servings: 4 or 6
Patatas Bravas is a basic and traditional Spanish tapa, quite popular all over Spain. It can also be served as a side dish. It is spicy, delicious and easy to make.
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- Olive oil for frying
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp of pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 500g of chopped fresh or tinned tomatoes
- 1 fresh and deseeded chili or chili paste to taste
- A mix of 2 tbsp of Water and 1 tsp of cornflour
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric (healthy supplement)
- Salt and black or white pepper
- Chopped parsley, to serve
Boil the potato cubes in salty water for 7-8 min or until just tender. Drain well then fry in olive oil until crisp and golden all over. Put aside.
In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a hot frying pan, add some olive oil, the onion, garlic and the chili and stir fry until the onion is cooked.
Then add the tomatoes, pimenton, vinegar, salt and pepper and thin with the 2 tbsp of water and cornflour. Let it simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Blend the sauce in a food blender or by using a hand-held blender until smooth and creamy.
Pour the sauce over the fried potatoes, mix well and serve with some scattered parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.