Ratatouille with Added Chickpeas2019-09-03
- Servings: 4
You certainly have tasted or at least know about this classic French vegetable stew, done with courgettes, aubergines and peppers. In my recipe, I add cooked chickpeas for extra protein, a must for vegans!
- 2 medium aubergines (eggplants), diced
- 2 medium courgettes, diced
- 3 peppers (red, yellow & green), diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can of tinned peeled plum tomatoes + 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 handful of chopped fresh basil
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste + 1/2 tsp of turmeric (healthy supplement)
Optional: to remove any bitterness and reduce oil absorbing when frying, place the diced aubergines in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let them sit for 1/2 hour or more. Wipe the excess salt before cooking.
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onions then the garlic. Stir fry for 2 or 3 minutes then stir in the aubergine, followed by the courgettes and peppers. Cook until the vegetables are lightly coloured.
Add the tinned tomatoes, the tomato paste diluted in 1 tbsp of water, the thyme, the chickpeas, the turmeric and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan, lower the heat and cook until the vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir in the basil at the very end. Serve warm or at room temperature.