Vietnamese Chicken and Rice Vermicelli Salad2018-03-18
- Servings: 3 or 4
This vietnamese salad is one of my preferred salads. It can be prepared with shredded cooked chicken (e.g. leftover roasted chicken) or, if you prefer, cooked prawns.
This salad will be as good if it is only done with fresh vegetables that goes into it such as carrots, mange-tout, cabbage, cucumber, spring onions… and rice vermicelli.
I love it because it has different textures and flavours. It is crunchy, tangy, sweet, savoury, fresh and, above all, delicious.
- About 200g of cooked rice vermicelli, snipped into smaller length
- About 200g of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 large carrot, finely julienned or grated (large holes)
- 4 or 5 nappa cabbage leaves, finely shredded
- A handful of mange-tout, finely julienned
- 1/4 cup of finely diced cucumber
- A small handful of chopped mint leaves + 1 tbsp of chopped coriander
- 4 spring onions, shredded
- 1 thumb size of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 fresh red or green chili, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime juice or more if needed
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
in a big salad bowl, combine the chicken pieces and the rice vermicelli then add all the other ingredients. Toss until all is well mixed.
Taste and, if needed, adjust to your liking.