Ramen Soup with Udon Noodles2021-08-04
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Course: Main course, Starter
- Add to favorites
Ramen is a Japanese noodle soup. It was invented by Momofuku Ando who was looking for cheap but decent food for the working class.
The instant packaged ramen noodles that are often a staple food for students are not really healthy as they lack fibre, protein, some vitamins and minerals and last but not least, they have high MSG and salt contents.
But fresh made ramen soups are packed with delicious Asian flavours, vibrant vegetables and meats. It’s comforting and can be customized to your taste. There are at least 5 varieties of ramen.
My recipe is based on the Shoyu Ramen type which is usually made with regular thin or curly ramen noodles (but this time I used udon noodles which are thicker), stock (chicken, meat, fish or vegetable) topped with vegetables, sliced meats and boiled eggs.
My version of the recipe is an easy and quick one.
- 150 g of dried Ramen or Udon noodles, cooked as directed on the package
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced in two
- 750 ml of broth (chicken, meat or vegetable), store bought or homemade + cooked meats if any
- Vegetables : 2 carrots, 2 bok choys - a handful of each: spinach, mushrooms (preferably shiitake) spring onions, all sliced or chopped
- Flavourings and seasonings: 1 tbsp of sesame oil, 1 tbsp of chopped ginger, 1 tbsp of minced garlic, 1 tbsp of mirin, 2 or 3 tbsp of soy sauce, black pepper to taste; salt only if needed o
- Optional: fresh Chili or flakes upon serving
Heat the sesame oil in a frying pan then add the garlic, ginger followed by mushrooms, cooked chicken slices and all the other vegetables except the spring onions which will be added at the end directly in the broth. Stir fry quickly on high heat then add everything to the stock. Place the stock on a medium high heat and let it boil for few minutes. Vegetables should be al dente.
While the stock is being heated, cook the noodles as directed on the package then drain and keep aside.
Prepare 2 big ceramic or glass bowls and add in each the cooked noodles then ladle the soup with the vegetables and chicken or meat on top (if using any). Finish plating with the boiled eggs, and sprinkle Chili if using. Serve the ramen piping hot.
posted by Naji on August 15, 2021
We will definitely try it!
Thanks for the recipe:)
posted by Krys on August 16, 2021
Yes do tell me! Thanks for your interest! X
posted by Rimkashox on August 24, 2021
Looks awesomely delicious! 😋
posted by Krys on August 25, 2021
Thanks Karim! Do try it!