Lentils and Sausage Casserole2022-12-12
- Servings: 2 or 3
For this recipe use green or brown lentils and, if possible, SMOKED turkey or pork sausages such as Kielbasas.
It’s a wholesome dish, perfect for midweek meals!
- 1 cup of dry lentils, cooked in water on their own until soft (but not mushy) then drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- Few cabbage leaves, shredded
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sausages, sliced into smaller pieces
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 organic chicken cube diluted in 2 tbsp of hot water
- 1/2 tsp of each: allspice, turmeric, oregano, cinnamon, black pepper
- A drizzle of Worcester sauce (optional)
- Salt, to taste
In a pan, on medium high heat, fry the onions in the olive oil until slightly brown then add the garlic, celery, cabbage and carrots. Stir fry for few minutes then add the sausage slices, the diluted chicken stock, the Worcester sauce and all the spices. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes then add the drained lentils. Mix to combine and continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes. Taste and add the salt if needed. Serve hot.