Green Peas, Carrots and Lamb Shanks Stew2018-10-10
- Servings : 4
This is another Lebanese dish, hearty, easy to cook and full of goodies.
it is tastier if cooked with lamb shanks because of the bone but you can use any other lamb cuts or even use beef instead.
it is usually served with “Vermicelli” rice. The recipe of this will be published soon after this one.
- 4 small Lamb shanks (1 per person) or 750g of other cuts, cut to your liking
- 1 large onion + 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced into small cubes + about 300g of frozen peas
- 1 fresh tomato (chopped) + 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 flat tsp of allspice
- 1 flat tsp of cinnamon
- 1 flat tsp of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf + 1/2 tsp of turmeric (healthy supplement)
- Salt, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the meat cuts and cook until browned on all sides. If using lamb shanks, remove and put aside temporarily. If not, keep on cooking by adding the onions and garlic and stir frying for 2 minutes before adding all the spices, followed by the tomato and tomato paste.
Now add some water, season with salt and slow cook for about 2 hours, or until the meat is really tender. Half an hour before the end stir in the carrot cubes. Stir in the peas 5 minutes before ending the cooking. The tomato sauce must be thick enough.