- Servings: 2 or 3
Fricassée is a traditional French stew made of meat or chicken pieces browned then cooked in a creamy sauce.
Mushrooms are usually included but you can add another vegetable.
Serve it with a nice mashed potato or macaroni or anything that can be a base to enjoy the delicious creamy
- 4 chicken thighs (preferably skinless and boneless)
- 100g of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 3 garlic gloves, mashed
- 1 stalk of celery and 1 leek finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves + 1 stick of cinnamon & 1 sprig of thyme
- Olive oil or butter, enough to brown the chicken pieces
- A drizzle or two of white wine
- 150 ml of double or heavy cream
- 1 organic chicken cube, diluted in a cup of water
- Freshly ground black pepper, nutmeg and salt, to taste
Put enough olive oil or butter in a wok style pan to brown the chicken thighs; on medium high heat. When the thighs are golden brown on both sides, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
In the same pan, add the onion, celery, leek, mushrooms and garlic. Stir fry for 5 minutes then put back the thighs. Pour the wine and the chicken cube diluted in water then add all the spices, herbs and salt followed by the cream. Mix to combine then simmer on a lower heat until the chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
Serve the fricassée with mashed potatoes, pasta, rice or a freshly baked baguette 🥖! And a plate of vegetables or salad on the side.