Classic Sweet and Sour Chicken2018-07-25
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Servings : 2 or 3
I love Chinese food, and the sweet & sour dishes are amongst my preferred.
It’s quick and easy to cook and suitable for a family or friends’ gathering.
Serve it with white rice or Chinese egg or rice noodles and a side dish of Chinese style vegetables (check my choy-sum recipe or apply recipe to vegetables of your choice).
N.B: I use a “shortcut” by using ketchup instead of tomato paste+vinegar… It will be as good as the dish prepared in a good Chinese restaurant!
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 green bell pepper and 1 red, diced
- 1 cup of cubed fresh or canned pineapple
- 3 tbsp of tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger + 1 tsp of grated garlic
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of honey or brown sugar
- A gluck of rice vinegar (if needed)
- 1 tbsp of cornflour blended with 1 tbsp of cold water
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil (canola) +1 tsp of sesame oil
- A pinch of white pepper or chili powder
- 2 spring onions, chopped ( for garnish)
Heat the oil in a wok, add the ginger and garlic and fry for 1/2 minute. Add the chicken cubes and fry quickly for 2 minutes, to sear it. Stir in the peppers and pineapple chunks, and fry further 2 minutes.
Now add all the other ingredients (except the spring onions), mix well then lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes. Check if the chicken is well cooked before removing it from the heat and taste the sauce. Adjust it to your liking (More sugar or more vinegar...). Garnish with the chopped spring onions and serve.