Algerian Potato in Tomato Sauce – Batata Chtiha2022-07-15
- Servings: 2
This Algerian potato stew is usually made with a paste of garlic, chili and spices called Dersa. It’s delicious as a vegetarian main or a side dish.
NB: I have added some boiled eggs (entirely optional) to make a wholesome dinner dish! The boiled eggs are added at the very end of the cooking and do not interfere with the real taste of this stew.
- 4 or 5 medium size potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 heaped tbsp of tomato paste
- Water (enough to cook the potato stew)
- For the Dersa mix:
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Chili pepper paste, to taste
- 1 tsp of each: ground cumin, paprika, black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 or 3 tbsp of olive oil
Heat a saucepan over medium heat then add the olive oil and all the ingredients of the Dersa mix, plus the tomato paste. Stir-fry until fragrant then add the potatoes and water (just to cover) and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and let the stew simmer until potatoes are tender and a nice sauce has formed. Add the boiled eggs, if using any, one minute before ending the cooking! Serve warm or at room temperature.