Bread & Butter Pudding2023-09-16
This old-fashioned British pudding is one of my family’s preferred dessert. It’s easy, moreish and is done with ingredients usually available in your pantry!
- About 12 white bread slices with crusts
- 75g of butter, melted + extra for greasing
- 300ml of full fat milk + 300 ml of double cream
- 3 free range eggs
- 3 tbsp of granulated sugar + 2 tbsp of brown sugar to scatter over the pudding
- 1 handful of sultanas (or other dried fruits)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Butter an ovenproof dish then place the bread slices upward, side by side. Pour the melted butter evenly on each slice then scatter the sultanas all over. Put aside.
While the oven is heating to 180 C, heat the milk in a saucepan together with the cream and the caster sugar, just below boiling point. Meanwhile, in another container, whisk the eggs with vanilla. Take 2 tbsp of the warm milk mixture and mix it with the eggs, stirring constantly until well combined. Now pour all the egg mixture into the milk, mix well then pour over the bread slices.
Leave to soak for at least half an hour or even longer in the fridge. When ready, sprinkle over the brown sugar and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and puffed up!