Baked Sticky Chinese Style Chicken Wings2023-04-05
- Servings: 2 or 3
Chicken wings are not the healthiest parts of a chicken but for me they are my « péché mignon ». I have already posted the recipe of Lebanese style wings tossed with a tangy and garlicky sauce, and herein is the recipe of Chinese style wings coated with a sweet & sticky sauce!
Once you start eating you won’t be able to stop!
- 1 kg of chicken wings, cleaned with white vinegar then patted dry with kitchen towels
- Prepare a dry marinade with 1 tsp of each: garlic powder, salt, white pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger powder and ground fennel seeds
- 3 tbsp of dark soy sauce + 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 3 heaped tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of ketchup
- A drizzle of mirin or white vinegar
- 3 tbsp of oil of your choice
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- 4 or 5 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- Chili powder or paste, to taste
- 2 heaped tbsp of toasted sesame seeds
- Salt, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180 C. Rub the wings with the dry spices and your regular oil. Mix well to combine then bake them in the oven until golden brown (about 45 minutes).
While the wings are in the oven, prepare the sauce. In a bowl, mix well all the condiments with the fresh garlic, fresh ginger, mirin, brown sugar and sesame oil.
Once the wings are nicely baked and golden, remove from the oven, pour the sauce over them, mix well then return to the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 200C. Bake them until the wings are nicely coated and look sticky. When ready, sprinkle with sesame seeds then serve!