White Beans Soup2020-02-28
This bean soup is hearty, nutritious and delicious. Perfect on a cold day!
Beans are legumes, known to be rich in vitamins, minerals and fibre. Most of all, they are rich in vegetarian protein and, therefore, a good replacement for meat for vegans and vegetarians.
In this recipe, I used white beans but any other bean will do. I also added some vegetables to make it healthier.
- 2 cups of cooked white or other beans
- 1 medium potato, diced
- Few leaves of cabbage, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, mashed
- 1 organic vegetable stock cube diluted in water (enough to cover all the ingredients for a soup)
- 1/2 tsp of each: turmeric, allspice and cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf and 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp of olive oil and 1 heaped tbsp of tomato paste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp of snipped fresh basil or sage
Heat the olive oil in the soup pot to fry the onions and garlic (about 2 minutes) then add all the ingredients, except the beans and the herbs. Cover with enough water and cook until the vegetables are half cooked.
At this stage, add the beans and continue to cook until all the ingredients are well cooked but not mushy. Taste, adjust the seasonings and sprinkle the basil or sage just before the end of the cooking. If the soup is too thick to your liking, add more boiling water. Serve with some nice crusty bread of your choice.