Spinach, Cheese & Puff Pastry Tart2021-09-11
- Servings: 4 - 6
It’s a classic combination of fresh or frozen spinach, white cheese (Feta, Akkawi, Nabulsi…) and hard cheese such as gruyère or cheddar. I used the Akkawi and the cheddar cheese.
It’s easy to make with ready made puff pastry and it’s ideal for brunch, lunch or light dinner. The best accompaniment would be a tangy and zingy tomato salad!
- 375g of ready rolled puff pastry
- About 500g of spinach wilted and squeezed
- 1 onion + 1 leek, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 300g of white cheese, soaked in water overnight if too salty then roughly grated
- 100g of grated gruyère or mature cheddar cheese
- 150ml of double cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg + black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- About 3 tbsp of olive oil + a little to oil the baking pan
- Salt only if needed
While the oven is heating to 180C, pour the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion, the leek and the garlic until tender. Add the spinach after wilting it and squeezing it out of water as much as you can. Sauté gently for 1 minute then put off the heat.
In a bowl beat the 2 eggs then mix with the cream, the spices, the white cheese and the lemon zest. Add everything to the spinach and mix well to combine. Keep aside.
Roll out the puff pastry on an oiled or lined with non-stick baking paper tart tray then score a 1 cm border around the edge of the pastry with a sharp knife (this will help the border to puff up). Put the filling onto the pastry and spread it with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with grated gruyère or cheddar cheese and bake for about 30 minutes or until the tart is nicely coloured.