Meatballs, Rice and Tomato soup – Chorbet Keema2023-01-30
- Cuisine: Lebanese
- Add to favorites
- Servings: 2 or 3
This Lebanese soup is made with bite-size lamb or beef meatballs. The meatballs are made out of Kafta which is a mix of minced meat, onions, parsley, and spices. (Kafta recipe is on this website)
Once the meatballs are ready, the soup is quite simple to make!
- Small meatballs made of 150 g of raw kafta (minced meat + onion + parsley + spices)
- One handful of rice, washed
- One can (240g) of tinned plum tomato + 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- One onion and 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- One stick of celery, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of each: allspice, cinnamon, turmeric and black pepper
- 2 or 3 cups of water
- A squeeze of lemon (optional) and salt (to taste)
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the kafta balls. Once they are nicely coloured, remove the meatballs and keep aside. In the same pot, stir fry the onions, garlic and celery then add the spices, the tomatoes (tinned and paste), water and rice. Put back the meatballs and let the soup simmer until the rice is cooked and the soup is ready. Add salt and adjust the seasonings if needed. Add a squeeze of lemon at the very end (if using).