Chicken Cacciatore – Chicken Hunter-Style2020-06-04
- Servings : 4
This Recipe is Italian (Tuscan more precisely). The French have their own version, called “Poulet Chasseur”(same meaning) which is quite similar. I prefer though the Italian one because of some additional ingredients that I like.
This dish is usually made with thighs and/or drumsticks, or also a whole chicken cut into parts. It makes a perfect midweek family meal, and is also good for a crowd.
Serve this stew with either crusty bread, creamy polenta or pasta of your choice… And, of course, with a side dish of greens or a simple romaine salad.
- 8 tighs (2 per person) soaked briefly in a mix of water, salt and vinegar (for a fresher smell) then patted dry
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of sliced button mushrooms and a handful of dried porcini mushrooms, soaked beforehand and chopped. Keep the water of the porcini aside
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes + 1 tbsp of tomato paste + 1 organic chicken stock cube, mixed with 2 or 3 tbsp of water
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of chopped fresh rosemary, oregano or thyme + 1 bay leaf
- About 1 cup of dry red wine. White one is ok too
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric (healthy supplement) and a pinch of dry chili flakes
- 3 or 4 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
Sauté the chicken pieces in olive oil in a large pan, over a medium high heat. When lightly coloured remove from the pan and put aside. In the same pan, sauté the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper and both mushrooms for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Pour the wine to deglaze and cook further until the wine has almost evaporated. Add the diluted tomato paste with the chicken cube and 3/4 only of the water in which the porcini were soaked ( there may be some sand in the bottom of the water).
Now put back in the pan the chicken pieces then add the tinned tomatoes, all the herbs, the spices and the salt. Cover with a lid and let the chicken simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is well cooked and tender. Adjust the seasonings if needed then serve.