Bulgur, Chickpeas and Spinach Soup2023-01-17
- Servings: 2 or 3
This is a really awesome and healthy soup. It has great ingredients and can be eaten all year round: hot in winter and at room temperature in summer.
The bulgur I use is whole wheat and coarse. As for the chickpeas, I use uncooked ones which were soaked beforehand in water for at least 8 hours. You can use tinned cooked chickpeas instead but you will add them halfway into the soup because you don’t want them to be mushy. You can also substitute the spinach with other leafy greens.
- One cup of uncooked but soaked chickpeas
- One cup of coarse whole wheat bulgur (rinsed)
- 200g of spinach leaves, washed
- 1 onion + 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- One handful of fresh or frozen coriander chopped
- 1 tsp of each: turmeric, allspice, dried coriander
- 3 tbsp of olive oil for sautéing + a drizzle at the end of cooking
- Water + 1 organic vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp of sumac, and lemon juice to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Put a pot on medium high heat. Add olive oil and sauté first the onions then the garlic and the green coriander. Sauté for few minutes then add the water and all the other ingredients. Mix well to combine and let the soup simmer on low heat for at least one hour, or more if needed. 5 minutes before ending the cooking, taste and adjust the seasonings if needed, then add the final drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot or at room temperature with an optional side dish of radishes and spring onions; and/or flat bread. Bon appétit!